Saturday 4 October 2014

The Gego: Line as Object exhibition at The Henry Moor Institute was a great exhibition to visit. I visited the exhibition a couple of times, the first time I was interested by the forms Gego's wire lines made, pulsating in and out at uneven angles. They seemed to hold space, without taking up any room at all. They were an impression of something being there, creating shadows, dividing space but not suppressing it. They seemed to react to the space in and around them like molecules.
The second time I went I was with my Dad, who studied physics at University. I was interested in how he interpreted Gego's work (who after all did say her work wasn't sculpture). He told me that 'Vibration in Black' (1957) looked like interference patterns, as the slowly revolving lines of loosely coiled aluminium was suspended from the ceiling, revealed patterned shadows on the wall. When the shadows on the wall crossed over each other caused by the revolving coiled lines of the aluminium, they created optical interference patterns which looked like waves moving of their own accord. A clever manipulation of light and space I hadn't noticed before! but my Dad being the physics expert picked up on it straight away.
I could see that the line as object was a lot more than sculptural form for Gego; it was an experiment with light, weight, force and space.


http://www.henry-moore.org/hmf/press/press-releases/henry-moore-institute-leeds/2014/gego-line-as-object

No comments:

Post a Comment